Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Taking a Stand: Cities Against Gangs

I read this story yesterday and I wasn't to sure if I would blog it...but after some careful consideration, I decided to go ahead a write. I am all against gangs and gang violence but suing these people might not be the greatest plan of action. Fort Worth and San Francisco are among the latest to file lawsuits against gang members, asking courts for injunctions barring them from hanging out together on street corners, in cars or anywhere else in certain areas. Herein lies the problem, what if me and a group of friends are just hanging out at the park, smoking a clove, and catching up, does that automatically mean that we are in a gang? How will authorities be able to decipher between young teens just hanging out and an actual gang? I am not sure if this tactic will really work, or for that matter if it is constitutional. Now if these prosecutors know exactly what gang and what person committed a certain crime, then I think it will be ok to proceed with lawsuits, but if they are just targeting people that look like they may be involved that isn't fair. Stereotypically that will be young black and hispanic males in America and for the record NOT ALL OF THESE KIDS ARE INVOLVED IN ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES!!! What do you think?

Signing off,
Teelady

No comments: